Wednesday 27 April 2016

FMP - Back into Research

FMP - Week 4 - Day 2

Sampling

Filling in the Gaps


Today I went back to my tutor for a quick review, she had thought the same about the illustration as I had, and told me that I needed to begin thinking of the structure if that was typically what I wanted to make. I decided that I did actually just want to have shapes sticking out of a garment. I do like surface decoration but I wanted to use my concept to create a shape of its own. Looking around today, I've started to feel stressed; as my peers had become sampling and have their own walls of work. So I decided to take my tutors advice and to start thinking about structure, and what better way to play with structure than to play with metal wire? I started thinking about the concept and the only other sample I had made was a hand croatiaed knit piece made with brown wool. I chose croatia because the ribbed pattern looked quite similar to the muscles in our body, and thought it would have been relevant to the voice and vocal muscles. Similarly I decided to hand knit the wire; I tried doing a small sample and it ended up looking pretty awful, just like tangled wire, but I was adamant to make the knitted wire work, so I tried again when I got home; this time using pastel colours. The colours were inspired from the response piece I did to the recording previously. The knitted wire represents the hard denser side to voice, the sharp attitude that voice can hold mixed with the soft side (wool); the sample basically represents any human being voice, the soft comfortable texture mixed with the sharp dense stiff texture.
Hand Knitted Samples - Knitting With Wire
After my 2nd attempt I was extremely happy with the sample; you could clearly see the entwined pattern withing the wire as it had kept good structure, on the blue section of the sample, I wove the wire and wool together, this had a really amazing affect, no only did it look intriguing, the way it held its structure was phenomenal. I am however dissappointed in my colour choice, it does seem pretty "schooly" and I would have liked to only use either darker tones or just a muted colour pallet, but overall I am happy with the wire work!

No comments:

Post a Comment