Thursday 21 April 2016

FMP - Sound Displacement

FMP - Week Three - Day 3

Playing With The Voices

Re-Working Paranoia

Own Work - Overlapping Voice Recordings On Premiere Pro
Over the past few day's I have been recording selective sections of my life; the way I converse with different people; interact in different scenarios as well as the people around me. After gathering the voice recordings I started analysing them in more detail. I began to write up short transcripts on the most interesting sections. the changes in behaviour and changes is language was quite interesting to extract. Although this felt like a solid set of research, I wanted to do something more with it. I began to flick back through my research and found several references to illness where people become crazy from various voices speaking to them at once; another form of paranoia. I then thought of how symbolic I could make my voice recordings to the theme of paranoia. 

I took six different recordings all with different meanings. One with my best friend maria talking straight about her role model which evokes emotional values - this recording was taken when practising for an interview we were going to do later that day. I felt this recording was strong because as friends we've been close for 8 years however we do not see each other that often so you can gather a sense of distance between our dialect. Another three of the recordings was taken with my cousins, random topic changing and laughter added another element of confusion and rapid jumping voices helped the idea of paranoia, however also emphasised the comfort between the three of us. I added another recording of a car journey with my brother, where he sings along to the music in the car; this was particularly interesting because of the different car sounds and screeching from wind shield wiper as the rain hit the glass. This created irritation to the listener. Finally I used another recording with my brother when he was falsely disciplining me to make me low; for me this was quite a sensitive recording and made me angry whenever I listened to it. 

I then started overlapping all of the sounds, making sections loud than others so that It wasn't all just a muddle of voices. Some sections were clear and got you thinking but then it slowly blurs out, and another part becomes more prominent; this happens continuously.

I am particularly happy with the outcome however, I am also pretty disappointed that I wasn't able to play with the sounds how I wanted, for example, I would have wanted to increase the volume on certain section of a recording and mute others; but was unable to do this as whatever volume I insert is then saved as a preset for the whole recording. In the future I will learn how to use the programme properly; however all in all, I am happy with the final outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment