Thursday 22 October 2015

Development - Detail Project

Project One - Detail

Developing Designs Further Into Potential Garments

During this week, I was developing designs from my previous design work on the stand. By keeping constant the three detail pieces that I took onto the stand (the pocket, tassels and frills with lace and bow) I came up with some easy conceptual designs. Coming up with the designs was pretty difficult because many of the designs I created was not aesthetically pleasing enough for me. I then began to start throwing the details onto the body of the garment then filled the rest in later, and this worked much better for me.
Own Work - Development
For the above designs I focused more on the frills and draping of the 1800's theme, composing it into a modern commercial piece of clothing. The most pleasant part of the garment for me was the lace lining so I started to incorporate that more into my designs.
Own Work - Continuing With Development
Own Work - Developing Bottoms
So for the bottom I incorporated heavy draping and frills, in this collection I am creating is based upon fabric manipulation and layering, I decided to make the bottoms as dense as the upper body garments. The 1800's fashion for the wealthy tends to be compact with the detail to the tiniest of areas; In my designs I tried to use as many techniques as possible. 

Own Work - Development 2D Flats
 So by this time, I had drawn out quite a few garments that I felt had potential and was quite contemporary. I then started to pick out my favorite and began to think about how it would sit on the body and also the colour scheme.

Own Work - Sketchbook 
So after I came up with my final designs I started to come up with the colour scheme which stuck to harsh colours with textiles prints. 1800's clothing were either plain continuous colour or highly embroidered materials; so for my collection I decided to use digitally printed fabric mixed with other coloured fabrics to enhance the modernity of the garment.
Own Work - Pastel Pallet Line Up
Above is my final line up for the 'Pastel Pallet' Collection of the 1800's Project, I feel like this Line up was more modern in aesthetics but more 1800's in fabric manipulation and plain colour pallet. 
I absolutely enjoyed this project, but one flaw of my work is that it had come across as a bit too 'girly'; however the structure and silhouette of the line up was something I was quite happy with. I am also really happy that the designs I drew up are quite clear and understandable in how you would come about to make them and also how it would sit on the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment