Sunday 18 October 2015

Detail Project

Project One - Detail

How Can You Define The 1800's Fashion

Our first project, the detail project. The brief was to pick an era between the 1700's- 1900's which most interested us. we were then asked to do research and extract details from garments based in the era we were focusing on. I chose the late 1800's fashion. Through my research I noticed a common pattern of the use of lace and buoyant three dimensional deigns such as the bows and ribbons.
Own Work - 1800's Detail Drawing

After collecting a few images from late 1800 paintings, I started to draw out some of the details that I found most interesting. I then started reconstructing the same detail pattern ideas into illustrations by using magazine cut outs.
Own Work - Sketchbook
Own Work - Frankinsteins
By doing these Frankensteins, it became helpful for me to then start thinking about potential designs by playing with scale and composition. Although this did help me develop my ideas, I was not particularly happy with the look of the illustrations, they came across between the potential of looking great/ really bad, almost comedic.

To further research on my ideas, I took a trip to the V&A museum, where I had visited the 1800's era. They had delicately constructed clothing on display as well as paintings of royals. As I went round, I started to draw out some quick observational drawings of interesting details within the garments. 
Own Work - 1800's Observational Drawings
I absolutely enjoyed replicating these drawings, I love how the garments overlay one another. The ruffles were also very beautiful. My favorite part about these drawings is that you can almost imagine the movement of the garment by the way in composed on the page. The use of thin silky materials also play a part in the movement and creasing of the garments; so this is another element to focus on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment