Tuesday 15 March 2016

FMP - The Exploratory Stage

FMP - Week One - Day 1

The Starting Point

How Can We Explain Voice?

So today I began exploring voice through my own ideologies. I started off by taking a trip to the Wellcome gallery. I found the Wellcome Collection particularly interesting as none of the work there were at all related to voice however, they still indirect and silent links. For example, one of the most interesting pieces I saw at the Wellcome Collection was the sculptures on the five senses. It reminds me of the work people produce to represent sound and movement which could be a direction I could take down the theme of  'Voice'.
At The Wellcome Collection
There was another particularly interesting piece that caught my eye, and this was the sculpture on dyslexia. I feel like the piece was so powerfully emotive; it expresses how dyslexic children face the difficulties of the things we take for granted. The tag 'dyslexic' means nothing but jumbled letters, just as the you cannot understand the sculpture without reading the description otherwise it would just look like random letters on children's playing blocks. I took this piece as a piece of non verbal form of communication. Voicing the voiceless. 
At The Wellcome Collection
The trip was very useful as I managed to gather some direction as to how much further I can take the project. Whilst I was at the Museum I also attended the the 'States of Mind' exhibition; this was such an interesting exhibition, there were very few things to explore but were all very enriched in tracing the edges of consciousness. In the background were short clips of people doing abnormal activities in their sleep. Although it was quite spooky, I want to pull some of the information I learnt today and cleverly place it into my project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment