Monday 14 March 2016

Final Major Project - Voice

FMP Week One - Voice

Final Major Project Proposal


For my FMP I decided to focus on voice. I want to look into the idea of the voice being used as a weapon, an escape and a restraint. Also looking into the material quality of the voice, vocal tracts, restless minds and speech devices. I want to be able to capture the complex psychological and physiological origins. A voice is potentially one of the most danger weapons to ones self or another, its just the way in which you harness the power that tips the scale. I feel that this project is quite personal to me, during a dark time, when I reacted to the constant voices in my head and the ones which surrounded me in reality; there was no escape.

I want to focus on emotions, impact and repercussions of the voice; also looking into rhythm, pitch and tone and non verbal forms of communication. The voice is extremely flexible and can change dramatically in different situations as well as with treatment and training.

For my research I want to record sounds myself, in different scenarios and examine them in detail. I want to interview a few people and ask questions. I will then print out a transcript and analyse their use of literary features; I’d also like to make recordings of conversation between different relationships and log data of any voice variations. I’m also planning to attend a few of  ‘the voice’ talks going on at the Royal Opera House. Another place relevant to my research would be at the exhibition of voice and sound. The Wellcome Collection Museum also has a good collection of un-voiced but spoken work which is a powerful collection to examine.

How I Plan To Evaluate My Work...

Apart from reviews from group tutorials my peers, I will keep evaluating my work through recording and reflecting my progress in my regular blogs. By updating the blog weekly I will be able to see a clear progression of my work and reflect on what could be done better, therefore I avoid making the same mistakes and my work only evolves. The blogs should keep me on track as well as add context to the decisions I make on my project. I will also maintain a notebook of information from my research to constantly refer back to, so I don’t divert from the main topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment