Thursday 7 January 2016

Industry Project

Project Four - Industry

Getting A Taste Of The Industry Feel


Industry Project - Brainstorming Mood Board
For this project we were expected too work in groups of 6-7 and follow a particular designer. During the project brief, the tutors came to the stage to present their chosen designer and convince us to pick them for the next stage. I chose Iris Van Herpen; Iris Van Herpen has crazy exaggerated work, her work is natural forms based and then the natural forms then start to over take the body. Iris Van Herpen is quite funny about her work; she never sells any of her work and only sells 50 copies of her book per year. Iris Van Herpen is quite a literal designer. In the brief we were expected to come up with a collection with everyone's input . The final line up had to be a collaboration of the groups work. There was 5 different areas to cover, production, menswear, womenswear, accessories and textiles. Originally I opted to do womenswear, but as there was ready two other womenswear designers in out group, I decided to continue with accessories instead. I chose accessories because I know that Iris is quite known for her footwear collections and general accessories and I wanted to make my work as relate-able as possible. 
To begin we all started looking through some books in the library about natural forms, I started looking into coral and sea creatures; the illusive and iridescence of the underwater world. However as my team started looking more further out into different areas, I had to also adapt my ideas around theirs. We then started looking at the production side and the casting of models which was a selection of all ages and ethnic backgrounds. 

Own Design - Masked.

From the mood board I then started to draw out some rough designs for the face and neck; the upper body accessories. My designs were influenced mostly by the silhouetted structures. I mostly used prickly designs and the idea of growth on the face. After drawing up the images, I started to think of colour, however, I had come to a realisation that Iris doesnt particularly think of a colour scheme as she uses purely the natural forms colour. So then I started looking into straw and mud and how I could shape these into the accessories I designed, I then also tried thinking weather it will work and be intriguing enough.
Sketchbook Work - Development
Sketchbook Work - Development






Own Work - Photography -Samples
I made this sample using plant pot liner cut and hot glue gunned together so that it creates a swirled effect like the cutting of trees in the formation of the trunk. The colour pallet also links to the natural form of wood and straw.
I then started working with a more solid piece of wood.








Own Work - Photography - Samples

I then began to develop and out of my development, choose my favourite designs for my final lineup for this theme. I felt that this felt like a very good way to come up with designs as the photoshoot put the accessories more into perspective.

Final Wood Collection






No comments:

Post a Comment