Friday 25 September 2015

Can you make it pretty and durable?

Week Three - 3D Design and Architecture

Building Supports

Own Work - Water Bottle Support
We were asked to build a support for a water bottle. The support had to both function well and look aesthetically pleasing. The support had to lift the bottle 20cm's high.
I was quite disappointed decisions in the way in looked however it covered the function criteria. I used a fan base held up by a 25cm long tube. We then put the supports to the test and mine had passed honorably. Finally we were asked to measure the support up to a building size, by placing a miniature human model by the piece and then to photograph them.
As a support for a water bottle, I was not please with the looks however, looking at it as a building, I feel that the look fills the criteria for a new modern building.

Afterwards we were then asked to build another support, however it was for our self and had to lift us 30cm off from the ground. We had to think strategically about how to build the piece so that it could support our body and not collapse but hold us up. We were provided 4 pieces A2 cardboard and then went off independently to work on our pieces. I decided to build a solid block and to make it look attractive I wrapped brown tape around the seat and then cut out downward arrows.

After constructing the piece, I tried putting the seat to the test and got someone to sit on top of it to see if it will hold up. The seat turned out surprisingly strong. I was happy with outcome however, I was then concerned about the general looks of the piece as it looked rather messy.

Own Work - Body Support Final Piece





No comments:

Post a Comment