Thursday 24 September 2015

The art of 3D design

Week Three - 3D Design and Architecture

How we interact with objects and forms.

Utilizing methods that can instigate innovative and individual designs to fulfill specific purposes. This week is based on the how structure and forms are used for both the eye and the functions. we started the week off with a brief introduction to the course. 
Own Work - Scribble Seat Support
We started off with brief drawings; the first task was to do a random scribble then develop it into a support for two people and a cat. The size of the people and cat determined the scale of how large the support was. I wasn't happy with the overall outcome, however it helped me in understanding how structure can be developed through the most simplest forms
Own Work - Shoe Lamp
After we were asked to continue with our imaginative responses so we were asked to pick our favorite choice of clothing and make it into a light source.
I chose a shoe and then made it into a lamp, however I was not pleased with the outcomes due to the odd compositions and the displacement of the center of gravity. Looking back, I think I could have improved this by removing the heal of the shoe and the stalk of the lamp. 

Interior Architecture

 Our next  task was to draw nine random dots and then join them together to create a typical one floor house plan; including the important rooms. There were a few rules as to where the toilet and bathroom were to be placed  which was ideally two doors a apart. i thought that this had worked particularly well (Left picture) as the plan looked well drawn and professional. The right picture was drawn of  floor plan in an attempt of a shopping center. this however did not turn out well as I had run out of time and could not rectify my mistakes.

Own Work - Vehicle
 we were asked to draw three shapes; a triangle, circle and square to whatever ratio we please. We were then asked to use the shapes together to create a vehicle. I was extremely disappointed with my work as after I had composed the vehicle my ideas started to arise. If I were to redo the piece, instead of using the shapes as a support, I would use the shapes to be hollow with space inside to allow the driver to store and settle inside, much like the interior of a car.

Own Work - Random shape shoe design
In this task we were asked to draw two random shapes and then from the shapes, make it into a pair of shoes. This did not work particularly well because instead of using an landscape view, I constructed in terms of a birds eye view. I don't particularly like the outcome as it does no even remotely resemble a pair of shoes.

Own Work - Rabbits Den
The next task was to pick our favourite fruit and then to construct it into a rabbit's den. I had chosen a strawberry and then separated the interior into three floors where new activities lie.
I was quite proud of this piece because it looked well thought out and aesthetically pleasing.

Own Work - Music Player 
The final drawing task of the day was to use out imagination to make a unconventional music player, it could have function that does not exist in the real world. This task really queued my interest in how I could make something aesthetically please and multi-functional. My piece that i had designed works as a super sound earphone that equals the music between each ear through one gadget. It consists of multi touch screens, volume buttons, touch hollogram's and music display writing. It also works for mini portable CD's. I was quite pleased with the outcome, as in it was both ambitious and pushed me out of my confined comfort zone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment