Wednesday 30 September 2015

Getting to know Photograpy

Week Five - Lens Based Media

The camera is a powerful tool for creating imagery that evokes meaning and emotion

Today we were given a brief introduction into the lens based media course. We had been shown a series of thought provoking photography and short films. each had a very powerful meaning behind them which I particularly found beautiful. For today's lesson we were asked to bring in 10 pictures of our surroundings and what is important to us. However when we started the class, we were told we only needed one photo, and our task was to replicate the photo onto a larger scale of A1. 
Own Photo - My Bedroom
I chose this picture to use because of the interesting composition of light. However, when I think even more deeply, I realize that it may be due to the idea of comfort. My bedroom, a place of privacy and a place to escape the outside.
Own Work - Drawing From a Photograph
After drawing the picture, we were asked to crop sections to portray different feelings like John Hilliard's - Cause of Death c1970
Own Work - Isolation
Own Work - Guidance
Own Work - Comfort
The first one represents isolation, by focusing on the corner of the room; like it closing in on you. The second one represents guidance, by focusing on the lamp, it portrays the idea of light and how it helps you see and guides you. The third one represents comfort, this is focused on my bed, a place I feel safe and calm. I am quite happy with my work as it linked quite well into each other. Only criticism would be for e to start using thing bold colours and materials when it comes to large drawings.

In the afternoon we had an introduction to the camera, we looked at how the camera works with lighting in the studio space, we also learnt how to minimize light, sharpen shots and was shown a brief slide show on where lens based media could take you.

No comments:

Post a Comment