Wednesday 25 May 2016

FMP - Pattern Cutting And Making - Jacket

FMP - Week Eight - Day 2

Making the Jacket

The Big Day

Pattern Cutting And Altering

Today I began to make the Jacket, This was the most difficult activity I've ever had to do in my entire life. It drained every last drop of energy out of me. I had cried several times during the process! Never again! The making process started jolly and good, I cut the velvet jacket shapes out and sewed all the pieces together except the sleeves, I kept that for later. I stopped working because I had the wrong shade of lining so I couldn't do anything further. Once I had gotten my lining I started with the inside of the sleeves, making sure the inside is cool and roomy. I then began to cut the pattern pieces for the lining of the jacket, however, little did I know that the lining had to be bigger than the jacket; I ended up cutting it smaller which was a major flaw, because I had no idea how to work around that when the lining would meet any ends of the jacket...

I later tried to rectify this by inserting a quilted mid-strip covering up the raw edges however this then made the jacket zipper area puffier, which is where I had my first break down puling out m hair. The next flaw was when I went to sew in my zipper it starting curling up and going wonky, when I unpicked it for the third time and got it almost straight I zipped it up and saw that the zip center was all the way to the left side. I had to un-pick this AGAIN. I kept going till 6am in the morning but the zip most definitely was not going right and I have no remaining fabric to fill up the bottom section of the lining which is also VERY annoying. Overall I am pretty disappointed in this piece but when it is worn, you are definitely able to pull it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment